We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » Austrian line infantry
Bottom
Topic Subject:Austrian line infantry
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11-24-09 03:46 PM EDT (US)         
I'm playing as Austria right now and land battles have become an enormous challenge with green troops. Any units without a chevron rout under the merest pretext. Luckily, Austria have a decent range of light infantry to compensate and I've started using a lot more artillery units, especially horse drawn artillery, which are really mobile.

How do you guys get around the poor quality of Austrian line infantry?

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

AuthorReplies:
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 11-24-09 04:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Well you cant hold the musket fight for long, so you need to flank them, this will give a good moral schock too. I would also try to put alt on a high ground, then get all of them to fire at one unit at a time, will probally rout 2-4 units before they come close.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 11-24-09 04:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Austrian line infantry have larger unit sizes. Take advantage and extend your lines and use that extra length to wrap around their flanks.

Best thing that I've found, though, is something you already mentioned. Take advantage of those good early game skirmish units. Fire and retreat with the skirmishers until the enemy units get close enough for your line infantry to engage. Retreat the skirmisher units through your lines and wheel them around to engage the flanks.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 11-24-09 05:27 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Yeah the Austrian line infantry are not good melee fighters that is for sure. I just try and get into an musket duel with the enemy. It helps as I widen the line to outflank theirs so I can get a wide ranging field of fire.

Canister shot works well to reduce the enemy infantry's strength and I never engage in melee combat unless the enemy has lost at least a fifth of their original strength. In the case of the Prussians they have to be whittled down to half before I call the order to charge. In one vicious 5,000 man battle some Prussian infantry units were taking a mixture of canister shot, artillery direct hits, heavy musket fire along with the bayonet. They were whittled down to twenty men and still they stood their ground. That field became littered with the dead. So basically I have great reservations using Austrian line infantry when it comes against fighting Prussian, Polish or sometimes Ottoman infantry units.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 11-24-2009 @ 05:28 PM).]

Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 11-24-09 05:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Ottomans aint that great deal of danger. Their soldiers rout almost at same time as the Austrians, or atleast they rout fast.

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11-29-09 04:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Ottomans aint that great deal of danger. Their soldiers rout almost at same time as the Austrians, or atleast they rout fast.
That's true. I fought them at the start and got lulled into a false sense of security about my line infantry until I fought France & Spain where I got a rude wake up call.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

OctavianIV
Mariner
posted 11-29-09 04:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Bear in mind also that Austrian cavalry is also not so bad - I try to have two or three units of hussars in my armies as a general rule, to harrass and repeatedly charge the enemy. Alternatively, use lancers - huge charge bonus, then retreat. If you have enough money, use the lancers as suicide troops to take out the strongest enemy units (or at least whittle them down a bit). Extending your lines is always a good idea, the other thing is, hold your fire until the enemy gets quite close - do this with some of your skirmishers as well - keep them right in front of your infantry, then push them off to the flanks when the enemy infantry get in range of your line inf.

A right-angled triangle has sides a, b, and c, and a<b<c. a+c=49.
Find the area of the triangle.
"It is not the job of Mathematicians to do correct arithmetical operations - that is the job of bank accountants". - Shatunovskiy
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 11-30-09 10:28 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
i normally use hussars, also as sucide missions, only problem is that 2 vollys of alltillery rout them, witout hiting. Atleast in my campaign, but i guess it was the superoty numbers and the noise.

Dark as Silver
Mariner
posted 04-22-10 03:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Just try using
1. Austrian line inf as a meat shield for more powerful units e.g. grenadiers (lets the throw grenades with out being shot at) or grenzers (because otherwise they're lower range gives them a difficulty in skirmishes), this way they will take lots of casualties and get more experience.
2. Use them as reserves to support your light infs, repulse cav charges and fill, holes in your line and then use them for a final push.
3. Use smaller unit settings this lets them deploy in longer lines than other nationality's, and means they can use the full numerical advantage, they can have more muskets pointing at other line inf units.
Other than these you can just try another campaign, only fight the Russians and Ottomans(because their line sucks as well)or just use tactics to get the upper hand.
Hope this helps =)
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 05-14-10 04:53 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
1. Austrian line inf as a meat shield for more powerful units e.g. grenadiers (lets the throw grenades with out being shot at) or grenzers (because otherwise they're lower range gives them a difficulty in skirmishes), this way they will take lots of casualties and get more experience.
The problem with this is that Line Infantry is the body of your army, no matter what nation you choose. It's simply not cost effective or tactically viable to field an army of Grenadiers or other elites. Its best to just use the Austrian Infantry as you do all other nations, just support them quicker and closer than you would if you were Britain or Prussia. Lancers on the flanks with a unit or two of Grenadiers are a better bolster of the weakling line infantry. Not to mention if you place the Line Infantry in front of the Grenzers or whatever half of the Grenzer shots will be going straight into their backs resulting in an even quicker rout so you gain nothing. Deploying them in longer lines can also be problematic too, in my experience the thinner the lines the quicker the rout.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Dark as Silver
Mariner
posted 05-14-10 03:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
The problem with this is that Line Infantry is the body of your army, no matter what nation you choose
actually I often find using a skirmisher heavy armys useful and effective as long as you keep your cav and elites close, just look at the rifle spam army's online for example.
TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 05-14-10 04:06 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Just try sending your line infantry against Prussian line infantry - kidding. That's a good way to lose Vienna in a couple turns.

Austria must rely on everything but line infantry, which I believe is why there are so many units in a single line infantry unit, to compensate for the fact that your army should be comprised mostly of skirmishers, cavalry, and artillery. I haven't tried it, but try coupling units of line infantry with grenadiers. The large numbers of line infantry coupled with grenades can have a devastating morale impact, especially if you use that size to create larger lines to wrap around the enemy.

Either way, playing as countries like Austria and the eastern factions requires some ingenuity since their fighting patterns are less than orthodox. It only makes the game more interesting.

[This message has been edited by tkwarrior17 (edited 05-14-2010 @ 04:07 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames