We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » Platoon firing, make it more effective!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Platoon firing, make it more effective!
Randomhero44
Mariner
posted 09-09-09 06:41 AM EDT (US)         
I was reading a Sharpe book today and something occurred to me, in one section Sharpe commands his men to start firing in half companies e.g platoon fire, but if I read it right the regiments started firing from the center towards the outer ranks. NOT from the left to the right side or vice versa.

Now why did they not do that in ETW? It would make platoon fire seem more of a benefit then. Now before somebody says this would be unrealistic go read it up on wikipedia, it says that a good infantry man would be able to fire 3 shots a minute. And if I'm not mistaken the guards are supposed to be elite.

[img]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3086/randomherosignature.jpg[/img]
AuthorReplies:
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09-09-09 11:04 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Why would firing from the centre be more effective than left to right?

P.S. Did you know that depth of rank does not affect a platoon firing unit's ability to fire? All units will shoot even if the rank is 8 deep.
Obviously this only works for elite line infantry that can use platoon firing.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Randomhero44
Mariner
posted 09-09-09 11:14 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
Because if for instance your rank is 3 rows thick there would be 6 bullets at a time flying towards the enemy instead of 3 at a time, get it? It would go out from the center to the left and right and repeat from the center again.

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09-14-09 03:34 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
I get what you mean but it would require the soldiers to reload twice as quickly. They are already powerful enough as it is!

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

Waffentraeger
Mariner
(id: Daelon)
posted 09-14-09 05:12 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
I'v always wondered why CA didn't implement multiple ways of firing into the unit.. Mass barrage where 2/3 ranks fire over ones shoulder to provide an even larger musket volley then platoon firing.. Or being able to platoon fire in the regiment of foot rather then elite infantry. Why oh why
Lenardius VII
Mariner
posted 09-14-09 08:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
I think there should be the ability to fire by rank but also platoon firing for all units as an option.

I also think that what annoys me the most is why does the left side quarter of the unit has to wait for the right to finish off before firing? by the time the center shoots, the left has already reloaded and they just stand there ready to fire.

wasn't it done in a more fluid, continuous way at those times? you know...rolling fire both platoon firing and and fire by rank???

?????

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09-15-09 11:01 AM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
I also think that what annoys me the most is why does the left side quarter of the unit has to wait for the right to finish off before firing? by the time the center shoots, the left has already reloaded and they just stand there ready to fire.
Why don't you increase the number of ranks then so that the left units fire once the right units have fired?
A notable feature of platoon-firing units is that all ranks will fire no matter how deep they are.

-Love Gaius

MUZZIAH
Mariner
posted 09-15-09 11:37 AM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
Platoon firing suks!
I luv my elite units and veterans who have a rapid reload ability.

Fire by rank is sweet.
Platoon firing suks cos cos half of my units have reloaded by the time platoon firing reaches the center of the line. I then end up with my troppas standing there with loaded weapons waiting for their comrades to finish firing.

Platoon firing lowers the rate of damage these troops were doing under fire by rank.

I totally agree that if they started firing from the center towards the outer ranks it would become useful.
Randomhero44
Mariner
posted 09-15-09 02:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
Gaius dude no...

They not powerful enough at all. They are supposed to be the pivot on which your whole line can depend. You should be able to center your whole strategy around these guys. Yet when the enemy storms down on them they are content to simply let their guns go "pop" in the general direction of the enemy. This is just wrong... I wanna see my ELITE guards inflict horrible losses on my enemies, while looking as cool as possible with the absence of sunglasses!!!

At this stage the grenadiers are more ELITE than the ELITE guard is... meh.

MUZZIAH
Mariner
posted 09-16-09 01:33 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
its nice to know the elites are the "pivot" to depend on. Personally i like to combine depleted veteran squads rather than reinforce. The line inf cumulative with exp provides a better melee troop than the elites, who with a few stripes become superior to line inf in rapid firing.

Experienced line inf with rock solid morale, and inspiring elite troops ripping lead into the foe.

Those elites ain't wearing sunglasses. Thas powder around their eyes from the 4-5 shots per min they make.

Deserves a topic. How to use elites to their best
GSROCKS
Mariner
posted 12-14-09 10:39 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
Platoon firing is brilliant. If you look closely when you fire by rank many of the shots hit the same person (there's something for u guys to check out). The entire rank might only kill about 8 ppl if lucky with one volley. But platoon firing, whilst leaving some ppl already loaded and waiting gets (if stretched out into a 2 deep line) more shots on more targets. Once the first section fires surely at least 3 enemies r dead. Now you just multiply that by the amount of sections that a 2 deep line would have and there's the enemy gone in no time. Hate the platoon firing on cav charges though, those elites just dont seem to have any brains.

Captain: Sally up the main mast and tell me what you see
Jenkins: But sir...........Its a rowboat.
Captain: Well um, err, yes I knew that.
Dark as Silver
Mariner
posted 04-23-10 03:05 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
If you fired from the centre then you might have to wait because you'd empty all your muskets twice as fast. If you find that some of your troops have finished reloading before it's their turn its probably a good idea to shorten the line so more fire at once.
Besides all country's had their own military style and CA might have just decided to use the one where the fire from one side.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 05-14-10 04:47 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
I always thought it'd be a good addition to allow the player to choose whether or not his elites use Rank or Platoon fire. There are situations where I'd rather my Walloon Guards fire 3 ranks at a time into the incoming Native melee horde, but during a pitched shootout the Platoon fire consistency is best.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 05-15-10 09:36 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
A notable feature of platoon-firing units is that all ranks will fire no matter how deep they are.
I've noticed that the third or fourth rank tends not to actually fire, merely 'pulls' up so it looks like they fire, or just drop it to the ready position again.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 05-15-10 10:58 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
The idea of platoon firing is more mental than anything. In theory, the soldiers using platoon firing will be able to keep a constant fire on the enemy. While this obviously is not as effective as fire by rank, the purpose of it is more to frustrate and intimidate the enemy. If they can keep a consant barrage on you, any second you could drop dead!

In my opinion platoon firing is only useful toward the beginning of a battle, because fire by rank can provide more of the morale shock that can put a unit over the edge and rout them.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames