We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.46 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » Which faction do you fear the most?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Which faction do you fear the most?
burndaddy
Mariner
posted 04-20-09 04:54 PM EDT (US)         
Is there a faction that you hate to fight?

Is there a faction that sends a chill down your spine when you realize who you are fighting?

Do tell, and explain.

The only two factions that has done this to me to date, are the pirates (on land) and the Inuit Nations.

My first incursion onto pirate territory ended in disaster when giant mobs of pirates swarmed out to greet my army. I underestimated the forces I would face, and was cut to pieces. A similar invasion on another pirate island yielded similar results, this time against mostly musket troops. I now have a distinct respect for pirates.

The other faction that has earned my respect is the Inuit Nations. Laugh if you wish, but I built an army on Newfoundland and landed it on Inuit terrain fully expecting trouble and getting more than I bargained for. They sent a full army at me, plus reinforcements. Upwards of 2,000 men total.

Sheer numbers aside, during the battle with the Inuits they used a smart combination of melee infantry charges, with arrows and artillery raining down on my lines, and cavalry that made a looping run around into my rear area. I saved my artillery, but the cavalry charged their course and smashed into the rear of some elite infantry of mine and broke the spirit of my army when that unit routed. The expedition was a disaster.

"The Plan is Nothing, Planning is Everything," -General Dwight D. Eisenhower
AuthorReplies:
Lenardius VII
Mariner
posted 04-20-09 08:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 46       
When playing France VH/VH I had shared my border with Austria and Prussia who are very annoying. We often had many territorial standoffs but once we get into battle with my full stack army...its on. The ratio is pretty even so both sides can expect many losses and no clear winner.

Sometimes i lose the battles and when i try to counter attack with another large army i just can't seem to break through and vice versa. Now i try to avoid Prussia and Austria since its a waste of time.

In the American theater (same GC) I fear Cherokee nations thats IF they take many regions like in my GC they've taken regions, Texas, New Mexico, Panama and both Louisiana's and Florida. They can be pretty wild and hard to control especially in battle in north America i choose to have 2 full stack armies for that theater and im always outnumbered when im trying to slowly recapture these lands.

In the indian theater none so far, mughals have dwindled thanks to Maratha and Marathas are weak thanks to my French forces.

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
Junya
Mariner
posted 04-20-09 11:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 46       
I absolutely despise the Cherokee as well. I've never had an easy go invading and occupying their native territory. Their massive troops numbers just absolutely wear my men down

R[3vol]UTION
halberd
Mariner
posted 04-21-09 00:08 AM EDT (US)     3 / 46       
The only good thing about the cherokee is that both their villages are close together, you can take them out in one turn if you are lucky. personally I hate the iroquios and most the native tribes that have infinite funds.
remulu
Mariner
posted 04-21-09 01:12 AM EDT (US)     4 / 46       
I just hate all the native tribes...one and all, the only thing Europe has going for it in an invasion is artillery and technology..you have neither in 1707.:/(yay for 800losses against one of those giant hordes they just produce in 3turns,at least I won though:P)

And pirates hacked my britsh game right before I invaded so it crashed everytime it got to the Pueblos nation;s turn so I dont like them either:P

Love all europe though
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04-21-09 06:31 AM EDT (US)     5 / 46       
The only good thing about the cherokee is that both their villages are close together, you can take them out in one turn if you are lucky.
Because they are close together, one village can supply reinforcements for the other. That can be a problem when both villages have full stack defending armies.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

mrhankisthrone
Mariner
posted 04-21-09 09:49 AM EDT (US)     6 / 46       
That two-town Cherokee thing is something that has to be done with care. I parked in a town in Northern Kaintuck to assemble my force while hoping to induce the Cherokee out of the capital to get something closer to a one-on-one battle. It didn't go quite as expected as some of my smaller forces got to the rally location before others and I had to retreat so I had a 3/4-stack of Cherokee in the Niagara region. But the rest arrived that turn, dealt with that threat, and continued the plan to attack Kaintuck. In the end, I was able to take out the Cherokee-duo on the cheap (a full stack with some stagglers for garrison).
Ecthelion
Mariner
(id: p90pro)
posted 04-21-09 07:53 PM EDT (US)     7 / 46       
Many of the minor nations that border me are frightening.
Having a country with a full stack plus reinforcements right at the beginning on my border is most unsettling.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
Tacitus_Aurelius
Mariner
posted 04-21-09 09:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 46       
I am going to be a little more specific than halberd and say Courland. Darn them to hades. They build a full stack extremely quickly and even get a navy bigger than some of the major powers. For Prussia they can cause many problems early game.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04-22-09 12:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 46       
The trick with Courland (defending as Sweden) is to stay behind your bridge and they will attack you eventually. Cannister shot works very well at defending bridges.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Boetje
Mariner
posted 04-22-09 02:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 46       
With many of these minor factions there are two possiblities: Kill them off in the first 3 turns, or, get them as a protectorate. In my Ottoman campaign, I have had 4 protectorates for 40 years: The Barbary Pirates, The Crimea, Dagestan and Mysore. Yes, you read it right, Mysore. A little money and some techs are enogh to make them your lapdogs. I used them to keep the Marathas busy while I was grabbing Carnatica and gaining a foothold in India.

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04-23-09 06:00 AM EDT (US)     11 / 46       
The pirates. They get advanced ships (and lots of them) early in the game so moving ships around the Caribbean is a very dangerous activity.

Hussarknight
Thrashmad
Mariner
posted 04-23-09 01:36 PM EDT (US)     12 / 46       
The trick with Courland (defending as Sweden) is to stay behind your bridge and they will attack you eventually. Cannister shot works very well at defending bridges.
When I tried to put an army on the bridge to lure out the Courlanders in a bridge fight, my army was intercepted . I also wonder; do they send an small army over the bridge (it goes over the river Daugava by the way) every turn and you get an oppurtunity to intercept, where you easily can defeat them in your game to?

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 04-23-09 04:58 PM EDT (US)     13 / 46       
I'll second the Pirates. I always try to take those islands early but I have a hell of a job sometimes as those Buccaneers are vastly superior melee infantry to anything that can be mustered early on.

Whenever I battle Prussia I feel a small sense of dread knowing the majority of their units seem more powerful than my own, when playing as Austria my 200 man line infantry unit will rarely beat the 160 man Prussian line infantry in a shootout; or melee for that matter.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 06-17-09 04:50 PM EDT (US)     14 / 46       
For me it's Courland as well. When I was recently playing as Sweden I had that province just to the east of Courland when they attacked me but the city was fortified (I can't remember if it starts that way or not but by the time I was attacked it was). The battle was about a half stack for them and the same for me but that's including 3 or 4 firelock civiian uints. I win that fight, took a bit of a pounding on my regular units though but not too badly.

The same turn they hit me again with another half stack. I still have the firelock civilians so I'm a bit concerend but not overly so. I win again but now the units that were garrisoned there otherwise (i.e. not the firelock units) have been brutalized.

Still the same turn I am attacked AGAIN! This time with about 3/4 of a stack of units I already beat the dog-doo out of the first 2 times. I win this battle but just barely. In fact, I'm not even sure how I did win it because I didn't have the firelock units to use this time.

I've never been attacked so tenaciously by the AI before but Courland did it.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
Waffentraeger
Mariner
(id: Daelon)
posted 06-17-09 05:04 PM EDT (US)     15 / 46       
Late 1700's, definitely the French. Mean mean sorry SOG's that really don't care about you. I always play small nations for the challenge, (ie: Italian States), and I am always getting crushed by larger nations.
Professional
Mariner
posted 06-18-09 00:50 AM EDT (US)     16 / 46       
As the Prussians on H/H the only faction that has given my armies a challenge is Russia, i destroyed the French, the Spanish, the Ottomans, the Austrians, the Polish, the Italians and Sweden with fast strikes when their full stacks were elsewhere, i took Paris from a 3/4 stack when they had 2 full stacks in the south of France. But the Russians have so much land that i cannot dodge their full stacks indefinitely, they eventually liberate their cities from my beleaguered garrisons, often a turn before i would have destroyed their last city.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 06-18-09 06:10 AM EDT (US)     17 / 46       
When playing the British I am terrified of the Huron Confederacy lurking to the south and north-west of Moose Factory. They seemingly raise armies out of nowhere and then I win by a small margin, only to need to fight again once my troops are retrained. Neither seem to gain any ground. But once you have some extra techs and beat them back it almost inevitably leads to war with the other Indian factions - Cherokee and Iroqouis with which you'll face the same problems only worse because they have more settlements!

A f t y

A A R S

Ecthelion
Mariner
posted 06-21-09 07:06 PM EDT (US)     18 / 46       
I fear no enemy!
Elan FTW!

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
The Elite Lord
Mariner
posted 07-04-09 05:20 PM EDT (US)     19 / 46       
Prussia or Austria. Both are extremely aggressive and can take a lot of regions if left unchecked.

What's so special about The Boss? She beat Jesus in an arm wrestle, that's what! -WallyFeliz
blockeyking3
Mariner
posted 07-17-09 06:24 PM EDT (US)     20 / 46       
In my last campaign (France), Prussia had taken the whole of Poland-Lithuania and were giving Russia and the Ottoman's a run for their money. They had tonnes of territory, including the Scandinavian Swedish territories!

Austria have never given me much problem, as they are surrounded by enemies and it doesn't take long for them to be over stretched.

Native American factions (difficulty)
Huron Confederacy= A beast
Inuits= Shocking
Plains nations= Shocking
Cherokee nations= Amazing (they once had most of Southern USA until I whooped their asses)
Pueblo nations= quite hard

Pirates: navy is annoying, but their armies are usually too isolated and small to do much damage (at least on H/H)

Blokes
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 07-18-09 10:02 AM EDT (US)     21 / 46       
Post patch 1.3 there is a new candidate - The Marathas!

Like clockwork, every game they eliminate the Mughals, naval invade Ceylon, roll over Persia, Georgia and Dagestan until they're pushing into Russian north or worse remove the Ottomans from the middle east. The regions tend to be poorly defended but going up against an enemy with such vast territory, wealth and armies isn't a piece of cake.

A f t y

A A R S

Ecthelion
Mariner
posted 07-19-09 05:49 PM EDT (US)     22 / 46       
Funny, in my 1.3 Brit campaign the Marathas haven't killed the Mughals yet and it's 1822.
It's the Mughals, actually, that killed off Persia in my game. That saved me a lot of time and allowed me to send the army north to fight the Russians.

I'm actually scared of Poland at the moment. They control all of eastern Europe with full stacks and all I can really do is attack them with my navy (port raids, blockades, and amphibious attacks) and take their fringe cities. I have three armies on on the continent fighting them; one in the north helping the UP, and two south in the Balkans and Greece raising hell.
They're also allied with the Russians, so this is going to be an incredibly long war.

roman_noob
Mariner
posted 07-24-09 06:27 AM EDT (US)     23 / 46       
Hmm... just wondering how come the developers didn't add in the flute and drum music in the land battles. Wouldn't that be more realistic?

And furthermore it would be nice if there were audio for the officers giving orders. Something like when the enemy comes into range, then you would hear the officer shouting "Mark ready! take aim! Fire!" and there would be a buffer time inbetween orders for the men to get into their firing position and such.

A really good example would be this video:
Pitt
Commodore
posted 07-24-09 11:27 AM EDT (US)     24 / 46       
It would be an interesting wrinkle on the game, but it might make game play a little more annoying. The AI has a tendency to mass just outside weapon's range; you'd forever be hearing 'Make ready'.

On another note, that movie, although well made, was a big load of codswallop.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins

[This message has been edited by Pitt (edited 07-24-2009 @ 11:34 AM).]

Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 09-17-09 12:21 PM EDT (US)     25 / 46       
I think its the pirates. I once tried to take them with 3 line inf. Went very well before they started running. I put on plug bayo and charged into them, unfortunally they made a lock around my soldiers and all my men died.

I also "Fear" those annoying indians who always raid my land its so annoying. But revange will be mine!!!

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
Gallowglass
Mariner
posted 09-19-09 05:41 PM EDT (US)     26 / 46       
The faction that makes me want to be able to exterminate the settlement is Russia. The distances are vast, and their armies are large, and always seem to gather around their important cities. Even with my best infantry, backed by Ferguson Riflemen, it takes a lot to break the morale of their Siberian troops. You've not seen anything in the game until there are over a thousand soldiers firing at their enemy as they march against their defences, as a barrage of artillery destroys most of the city and many of the defenders. Then the defenders fire their ammunition, and engage in melee combat in the streets as your elite infantry approaches.

I don't often invade Prussia, as they can train a lot of soldiers and move them around their territories quickly. I know the AI doesn't usually think like a guerrilla soldier, but I don't want them to have the opportunity to use my own tactics against me.

I don't know why people don't want to invade France or Spain, however. Their gunpowder armies are useless at defending cities against militia, as long as you send in the militia to take the buildings and then send in professional soldiers to shoot at the defenders. Oh, and don't forget about artillery - whilst melee soldiers can charge, gunpowder soldiers take a while to get ready to shoot, and can easily be blown off their feet whilst they're reloading their muskets.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 09-19-09 05:48 PM EDT (US)     27 / 46       
gallowgglass i must agree with you about the russians. Or in mine campaigns they aint that hard to defeat, only to hold the provinces i use atleast 2 stakes of soldiers to hold moscow from rebellion.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 09-29-09 05:35 AM EDT (US)     28 / 46       
I'm afraid of everyone now that they can naval invade! I'm constantly gulping and peering over the oceans searching for invasion fleets. I even break out into a sweat when some huge power like the Marathas asks me for some of my land and I decline.

A f t y

A A R S

NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 12-09-09 09:27 PM EDT (US)     29 / 46       
britain

one of their lines will withstand normally 2 of another factions line infantry

even when they route they tend to come back and form up on your flank
NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 12-15-09 10:18 PM EDT (US)     30 / 46       
I also really fear the US in multi

people spam long rifles
Stonewall86
Mariner
posted 02-09-10 11:59 AM EDT (US)     31 / 46       
I'm gonna say the Americans... If you don't deal with them early, they take over the thirteen colonies and build very strong armies very quickly, making it a very uneasy feeling if you have regions in that area
fluffy0000
Mariner
posted 03-06-10 02:20 PM EDT (US)     32 / 46       
last campaign played United Prov. especially butt-hurt by pirates in naval battles especially in the Carribean theater
they have lots of Galleons with infinite cannons - my navy gets jacked by Spanish Galleons x half dozen in a fleet.

United Prov. especially maintaining a Navy requires a lot of micro management and god forbid you do'nt maintain a huge fleet that can fend off the Pirates and Spanish especially in the Carribean.
only good news French navy not present in Carribean
land forces of Pirates and Spanish very small.

my settings in campaign are hard and battle hard / in normal mode the numbers for pirate fleets and Spanish fleets drop.

Carribean theater:

The Pirates have large mobs on land and one huge fort but have no artillery exception of the fort. Pirate Mobs number in double digit on islands.
Phalanxkiller
Mariner
posted 03-07-10 10:26 PM EDT (US)     33 / 46       
Definitely the native american nations without a doubt.

Early in the game, whether you play as Spain, France, or Great Britain, you lack the time and money to build up a professional army in the New World, therefore you use militia as a temporary solution. This "solution" however, proves nothing but satisfies the bloodthirst of the native americans. You may cut down several before you can see the whites in their eyes, but once they engage you hand to hand, it goes nowhere but downhill, as their tomahawks hack through your militia lines like butter.

In Europe, on the other hand, Westphalia/Hessia, and Savoy honestly scare me. Never underestimate minor factions, never ever. In my French campaign, I thought nothing of it to leave Westphalia alone. Next time I check, they are fighting the Dutch, and winning! It is 1742 and Westphalia owns around 4-5 regions, swallowing up any other minor faction that comes in reach of them. Don't know if I should ally them, or try to bring them into my French Empire.

There are three things needed to win a war, money, money, and yet more money.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-08-10 03:02 PM EDT (US)     34 / 46       
Matahrattas. Seriously, their infantry, their camels, their artillery, the Sikhs...

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Thrashmad
Mariner
posted 03-09-10 09:46 AM EDT (US)     35 / 46       
I don't find the Marathas infantry scary, they don't have fire by rank and Sikhs are inferior Guard units. Elephants can thrash your line, but they are vurnable to artillery and even muskets are quite effective. I fear them mostly beacuase they conquer the whole of India, giving them an economy that can produce large armies. So when I invaded them I had my crack armies ready.

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)
TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 03-21-10 02:16 AM EDT (US)     36 / 46       
Prussia and Russia.

I hate them both (unless I'm playing as them; Prussia is my favorite campaign).

I fear Prussia because of her ability to concentrate her armies so well on a certain point and crush it. They have excellent generals to begin with as well, which makes fighting them early on a real pain. Late-game Prussia, once she has expanded to encompass greater Germany, Austrian Imperial possessions, and the vast expanses of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, is the most daunting foe ever.

Russia is next on my list because she is such a pain to conquer that, ironically, her extensive and hard-to-defend borders are really quite helpful. Enemies enter, take a year to get halfway to Moscow, a Russian force is assembled with ample time, and the invaders are crushed and sent packing faster than you can say "Steamrolled".

Late-game forms of either of these nations can be very ominous for your nation. Luckily, because of their fairly close proximity to each other, a massive war between these eastern European superpowers often interrupts both of their imperial ambitions. That's when I strike: when both empires are sucked up in a vicious war with each other. That's the only time I can crush either of them adequately and with minimum losses, or even crush them at all.

Prussia once ended my French campaign in 1764 after a 15-year war that sucked all my money away and left many of my colonies open to invasion from Portugal and Britain. Prussia, being allies with the British, were able to counter me on land while an overwhelming British-Portuguese fleet crushed my only strong military fleet near the coast of Ireland. Ten years later, I would lose Paris to 3 full-stack Prussian armies and a half-stack British army. My most humiliating defeat ever taught me a valuable lesson: never leave Prussia alone for too long - unless you're Britain and can keep them landlocked.
pickledpickles
Mariner
posted 05-20-10 00:51 AM EDT (US)     37 / 46       
i agree with the statemnet that the expendtions to the aermicas through new foundland are pretty much a death sentence with the ridcouls number of native troops. ALthough it is possile tocapture new foundland, lure out there armies, get in your fleet when they come to attack, capture there capital (and hopefully) rid yourself of 3 full stack native armiercans who want to scalp you.

My most feared armies though are the smaller nations. There ridcoulsuly powerful if you dont wipe them off the face of the earth very quickly. I swear i lost as farnce because i could not get through the 2 1/2 stacks that wutterburg, westphalia, and the italian states had, drained all my money, and then britain decided to join the fray, and captured paris first turn ofthe war.
Emperator
Mariner
posted 09-03-10 01:06 AM EDT (US)     38 / 46       
You may laugh but one of mine is quebec. leave them alone for too long and they control most of north america. In my campaign the only reason mexico is still standing is because of the armies I planned to use to invade North America were stationed there. Damn Canadians. Other than that Russia. I tried to blitzkrieg Moscow and their seemingly infinite armies made a mockery of my Holland Guards, Swiss Infantry, Dragoons, and Howitzers.
thiny1
Mariner
posted 09-29-10 04:32 PM EDT (US)     39 / 46       
if i only have places in europe than only the ottomans caise of there arty but if i have places in america than the french and the spanish cause they take everything from you and there protectorates fight you to
stryper
Mariner
posted 02-09-11 12:06 PM EDT (US)     40 / 46       
I think it would be safe to say any faction left alone long enough will become dangerous.

In my French campaign, the UP was defeated in Europe by myself and Westphalia.

When I got to India to grab the objectives I needed, Martha was done to 2 provinces and Mysore didn't exsist. However, martha and the Mughals were swaping territories in the south.

In my UP campaign, I wiped out France pretty early in the game. Kept up good trade relations with Martha as I fought Spain in the Americas. Martha wiped out the mughals, persia, and most of Mid-East Ottomans. Now that I am at war with them its proving...interesting.

Espeically since Savoy just up and declared war in Europe. With a 3/4 stack of ships and 1.5 stacks of troops...not to bad for a two province country. Course I am allies with half of Europe so they won't last long.
Oorah1944
Mariner
posted 04-04-11 07:31 PM EDT (US)     41 / 46       
As I walk through the valley of death I fear no one, for I am the meanest mother ****** in the valley!- Patton

I'm with him ^^^^^, I fear no one.

Semper Fidelis
"What's your major malfunction numbnuts?"- Sergeant Hartmann
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way"- General Patton
"Thou shalt not kill, well hear this, f*** that s***"- Jarhead
OORAH!!
Earl Scruffles
Mariner
(id: generalscruff)
posted 06-13-11 11:32 AM EDT (US)     42 / 46       
I don't fear anyone as such, as I can bitch-slap the Pirate's 2 shore bases and get rid of them. Also, playing as the British or the Prussians, I know my infantry is better, and they tend to pull through

But I won't go to England due to the prescence of scruffy in shottingham. - Scenter102
This is Scruff we are talking about. I can't think of anything I don't see Scruff doing just for the hell of it. - Agrippa 271
The cake was made by Scruffy and it was... a rude shape. - Liam
monkey in a suit on a cycle - Scenter102 describing Scruffy
pruissa
Mariner
posted 06-22-11 02:37 PM EDT (US)     43 / 46       
the pirates i was playing as he brits and the french o so i didnt take the pirates terroitys so they harrassed my trading ships. So i built an army of france which took it but then every single turn my full stacked army of france. would be whaled on about 12 line infantry and some cav and 2-3 demi-cannons and bayonet research done it really takes money to run that army. so the pirates and the french rebels.
Guy Fawkes
Mariner
posted 07-02-11 10:47 AM EDT (US)     44 / 46       
"The other faction that has earned my respect is the Inuit Nations. Laugh if you wish, but I built an army on Newfoundland and landed it on Inuit terrain fully expecting trouble and getting more than I bargained for. They sent a full army at me, plus reinforcements. Upwards of 2,000 men total."

Heh, that reminds me of an incident once on my current French campaign. I landed a small army on Newfoundland, only to find that the Inuits had a practically full-stack army waiting for me. "Oh well," I thought to myself, "maybe they'll end up doing something stupid and giving me victory. And if they attack with their full army, I can always retreat back to the ships." Lo and behold, the next turn they moved the majority of their army inland, allowing me to take their lightly-defended city and eliminate their faction. What a bunch of idiots.

As for the factions I fear: the Marathas. Oh my God, the Marathas. They always end up conquering the whole of India and training up massive armies. I tried invading them a few turns ago as France with two full-stack armies, expecting a slew of conquests, and ended up getting bogged down after taking about three provinces. I managed to negotiate a truce, which has given me enough time to retrain my armies, but they've just declared war on me again, so I can look forward to another round of having my manpower and treasury sucked into another indecisive, dispiriting conflict. It's like they're the Dutch Republic to my Golden Age Spain.

"[President Warren G. Harding's speeches] leave the impression of an army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea; sometimes, these meandering words actually capture a straggling thought, and bear it triumphantly, a prisoner in their midst, until it dies of servitude and over-work." -- William McAdoo
"He cannot be great, who has ceased to be virtuous." -- Dr. Johnson
Latinium
Mariner
posted 07-26-11 05:45 PM EDT (US)     45 / 46       
Maratha Confederacy.........Nuff said

Scare ..the...*&^% outa me

"Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory"-Sun Tzu
"They can beacause they think they can" -Virgil
"Laws are silent in times of war"- Cicero
"Who watches the watchmen"-Juvenal
Ecthelion
Mariner
posted 07-26-11 09:25 PM EDT (US)     46 / 46       
I just don't get why everybody hates the Marathas.

They don't have any kind of firing drill and as such get blasted to hell when it comes to an infantry bout. Even sikhs get ground to dust in a drawn out firing match.

They field just as many melee troops as the Ottomans. So I know how to use my artillery and cavalry to handle that side of their armies. Explosive/percussion shells, canister, shrapnel shot and cavalry charges take the steam out of any infantry attack.

They have multiple ports (can't protect them all!) and it only takes one unguarded port for me to slip a few armies into India and set up a base in one of their major cities.

They are extremely susceptible to naval blockades. No country I've ever been in a huge war with collapses so quickly under blockade than the Marathas.

It's not like RTW; elephants are an effing joke here.

Granted they sometimes turn out a good navy, but that can be dealt with by having awesome battles.

The Spanish piss me off if we go to war early in the game.
Galleons dominate early sea battles, huge resource base, allied to France and a couple other countries, and their territories in Europe are so spread out that's it's inconvenient to try and kill them off.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames