We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

ETWH Comments and Announcements
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » ETWH Comments and Announcements » Just bought ETW used and cd key is already registered
Bottom
Topic Subject:Just bought ETW used and cd key is already registered
WarsmithHonsou
Mariner
posted 02-09-10 11:54 AM EDT (US)         
Bought the game used on amazon. Came in great shape, but the cd key is already linked to a steam account. Did I just spend 30 bucks on a useless paper weight? According to steam I can't transfer the key to my account or get a new one because I bought it online from a used software vendor. If I'm boned it would be good to know now so I can give up and never buy a used pc game ever again. Thanks either way.
AuthorReplies:
Pitt
Commodore
posted 02-10-10 02:30 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
Unless the person you bought the game from gives you his/her Steam account details, you won't be able to use that copy.

Steam has a Total War sale on at the moment, so you can get a working version of the game pretty cheaply - 13.59 USD. But if you don't have the earlier games, you can ETW with them in the Total War Mega pack for 20.39 USD.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-11-10 04:24 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Sorry WarsmithHonsou but you've been robbed by the seller.

As Pitt said, ETW works via Steam and the game is locked to your account when you install it. That has a number of advantages such as:
-Being able to re-install the game even if you lose the discs.
-Being able to install the game on multiple computers as long as you log in with your account.

However, one of the downsides is that you can't loan or give the discs to a friend for them to play unless you give them access to your Steam account as well.

Not all PC games require Steam so just be careful in future that a game isn't locked to a single user before you buy it.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Primo
Mariner
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 02-22-10 06:03 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
I personally think this is stupid, and that Steam have done a very good job of killing the second hand market. How hard would it be to allow a user to de-register a key when they uninstall a game, so that if they sell it to someone else, that person can use it?

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-22-10 05:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Two things I'd like to see added to Steam.

1. The ability to give/sell a game to somebody else. Steam could make a tidy sum by taking a small cut of the sale value. That's my advice for free lads!
2. The ability to loan a game to a friend for a limited time period.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames